The Hydrozoan Society
About the Hydrozoan Society
This organisation was initiated by a small group back in 1985 who organised a workshop at Ischia to encourage research and promote an exchange of ideas on the Hydrozoa. The interest of the association is focused on systematics, taxonomy, phylogeny, ecology, general biology, and to a lesser extent cellular biology.
Since its foundation, it has grown into an association numbering some 130 members world-wide.
Every three years the HS runs an international workshop which includes oral presentations, poster presentation, and practical field- and laboratory work.
The 10th Workshop will be held in Bergen, Norway, 2023 May 7-13. https://hydrozoanworkshop2023.w.uib.no
The 9th Workshop was held at Japan in 19-26 June, 2019. www.workshop.hydrozoa.org
The 8th Workshop was held at Ischia island (Italy) from June 20-27, 2015. Detailed information.
The Hydrozoan Society facebook page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/HydrozoanSociety/
Objectives of the Hydrozoan Society
The objectives of the International Hydrozoan Society are:
- to encourage research on Hydrozoa and stimulate others to participate and co-operate through informal meetings and correspondence
- to provide a forum for exchange of ideas
- to establish a means and an opportunity for personal contact and interaction in aiming for better mutual understanding
- to serve as a liaison among hydrozoologists
- to introduce new students to the workers in this field
Membership of the Hydrozoan Society
Any individual who supports the objectives of the HS and is willing to contribute to the achievement of those objectives is qualified for membership.
As a member of the HS you will:
- be eligible to hold elective positions in the association and shall have the right to vote for the various elective offices.
- be eligible to give presentations at HS workshop conferences
- receive a listing of all HS members upon request
If you would like to join the HS, please see the membership page
HS Council 2019-2023
President: Aino Hosia, University Museum of Bergen, University of Bergen (Norway)
HS Council 2015/16-2018/19
President: Dhugal Lindsay, Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
HS Council 2010-2013/16
President: Peter Schuchert, Natural History Museum of Geneva (Switzerland)
Secretary-Treasurer: Cliff Cunningham, Duke University (USA)